« Home | Life insurance, anyone? » 

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 

Is love enough?

Lately when we walk pass a jewelry shop, occasionally he'll stop, point to a solitary diamond ring through the glass window and ask me what I thought about a particular design.

In the last couple of years, I watched as the people around me marry for a variety of reasons other than love. In most situations, there was indeed love in the relationship, but also present was a more persuasive factor which influenced them to take the plunge.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A Singaporean friend of mine did it to own a HDB flat.
My Arab friend did it so she could move out and escape from her controlling parents.
An old college mate did it because she got pregnant.
My gorgeous friend did because she would marry into wealth and luxury.
A good friend did it to facilitate visa application when he got posted to Switzerland for a year.
My ex-lover did it because she's suicidal and he's been with her for 11 years; though he wasn't always faithful, obviously.

Whenever I attend or hear of a wedding these days, I wonder about the other reasons...not because I don't believe in love, but because I think love alone does not create the urgency needed to tie the knot, unless, of course, the couple has refrained from pre-marital sex ;P

For now, I intend to base my decision, solely on the size of the rock.